Wednesday, February 27, 2013

You are what you eat

I often get questions on my beauty routine and my favorite beauty buys. I am a firm believer that beauty starts internally and what you eat and how you treat your body will reflect not only in your weight, but also your skin and hair. I will reveal my 'internal' beauty secrets in this post and save the beauty products for another.

There are a few eating habits I live by that have really made a difference not only in how I feel, but also my appearance. I have slowly weened myself off meats. I am not a true vegetarian, as I love fish and most seafood, and feel that the nutrients in fish are vital part of my over all diet. A bit of a sushi-aholic to be honest. I incorporate fruits and vegetables every day. Yes, EVERY day. Usually I do low sugar fruits, such as strawberries and blueberries with low fat greek yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast. For dinner I generally boil edemame or steam green beans, broccoli cauliflower and/or zucchini.

Cut out all dairy. I love almond milk and would never go back to dairy milk. Trust me on this. Your skin will improve and you will feel 100% better. Many studies have show a link between break outs and or acne with dairy. After much research I have also determined that adult bodies are not intended to digest dairy properly as infants are.

My major weakness is sugar. I was born with a sweet tooth in the worst way. But as with most things, in moderation, you can still have a little something to feed the craving. Leading to my next point, you must allow yourself to cheat a bit. Have that pizza or pasta once a week, just don't go crazy on portions or make it a habit. Allowing a junk food meal or piece of cake now and then helps to keep my sanity and actually makes me want to avoid processed foods most of the time.


A few of my weejky staples are:

1) Coconut oil; Take a few tablespoons a day. (Also have not purchased lotion or hair conditioner in over a year as coconut oil makes skin baby soft and hair shiny and full of body!)

2) Almond milk: Natural and no hormones that can be found in soy or dairy. I love the original, unsweetened 40 calorie.  Perfect for making almond milk lattes, YUM.

3) Cod fish oil supplements: Haven't had a cold or flu in a year and it keep skin and hair glowing. (buy a high grade found at vitamin stores, I use Carlson's)

4)Salmon: great for skin, hair, and overall health. A true brain food!

5) Green tea: full of antioxidants and increases metabolism.

6) Water with lemons or limes.

Last, but certainly not least, EXERCISE.  This is truly important to get the blood flowing, heart pumping and  energizing your body.  I stick to a few favorites and I hate the gym! I am more of a work out at home or outside type.  Here are my go to work outs:

1) Pilates:  Love Pilates for streatching, posture, relaxation and toning.

2) Zumba: I am addicted!  Ever since I starte Wii Zumba I can't stop. The most fun form of work out I have experienced. (I LOVE, love to dance).

3) Treadmill/Dog walking:  I alternate between taking my pug Gizmo for an hour long walk and doing a walk/run on the treadmill for 30-45 minutes.

4)Weights and resistance bands: Toning and squatting is important to keep it all tight!









No comments:

Post a Comment